Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Recommended Listening

I have a true penchant for the fusion of surprising flavors, sounds, and visuals. This is evident from my eclectic palate for music, design, foods, friends, etc. Lately, my taste for a blending of musical styles has grown insatiable. I can't get enough of fusion music.

I love songs that blend rock and hip hop: Walk This Way, by Run DMC, Trick Daddy's Let's Go - loved it even more when a classical orchestra played the song during the player introductions at the NBA All-Star game a few years ago.

Two of my ultimate favorite fusion types are Asian Fusion and Latin Jazz. I often listen to Japanese composer, Ryuichi Sakamoto. He is also in heavy rotation in my Classical and Work playlists on FineTune. His Energy Flow is simply sublime and his pieces written for movies like The Last Emperor are both beautiful and moving.

There are so many fantastic
Latin Jazz artists that I can't begin to name them all. However, if you have a taste for something new, something spicy, bursting with flavor, I'd urge you to give it a try.

1 comment:

ZenDenizen said...

I love hip hop and rock fusion, too! I liked a clip of Joe Perry from Aerosmith on Vh1 saying being in the room when Walk this Way was created was like watching Chocolate and Peanut Butter come together for the first time. I also have a great mash up of Joan Jett's I Love Rock 'n' Roll with Eve's vocals...