Sunday, August 31, 2008

The Write Life for Me

It's amazing how much easier it is to do something when we feel that we aren't doing it alone. I'm a grown up (most of the time) who knows exactly what she is supposed to do (most of the time). But, sometimes it just helps to have someone over your shoulder or by your side who gives you that little push, a bit of confidence, or the proverbial foot in the ass when you need it.

I am fortunate to have that. I am luckier still that the number of voices that support me in my endeavors has grown from a single voice to a chorus. I feel honored to know these women and to support them in their dreams and goals, as well. My chorus grew quite a bit when I joined a small writer's group started and hand-picked by Shonell Bacon, the ever-positive Chicklitgurrl.

Another great writing group, also primarily women, helped me complete the writing of my non-fiction book. Endurance Writing is a Yahoo! Group that connects via Yahoo! instant messenger for group writing sessions. These sessions are timed and highly productive. They work well for me because I'm also slightly competitive. The thought of coming back after 45 minutes and saying, "Uh, zero word count" is completely unappealing and motivates me to motor on.

Whether you are a writer, artist, entrepreneur, stay-at-home mom, or career climber, it's great to have people who can relate to your struggles; who'll sympathize with you; and will give you a push when you need it.

Who has helped you move forward in your journey to achieve your dreams?

No comments: