Monday, August 18, 2008

The Twenty Month Plan (or the Countdown to 40)

So, I've put myself on what I'm calling the 20-Month Plan. Of course, at the time of my telling you this, it's more like an 18-month plan. My 20-Month Plan is basically a countdown to my 40th birthday in the spring of 2010.

On this side of 35 you begin to look at yourself, your life, your accomplishments, much differently than you did when you were a wide-eyed, hopeful 20-something. I'm still hopeful, but much more realistic about my accomplishments and what I need to do to achieve my goals. I've finally come to terms with the fact that:

  1. I won't lose weight just by owning Hip Hop Abs or vinyasa yoga tapes.
  2. My novels won't get published if I don't finish them.
  3. I cannot be a successful entrepreneur unless I learn to embrace marketing. (Why am I hearing Leonardo screaming to his alter ego in The Iron Mask, "You'll wear it till you love it!")
  4. If you don't ask, the answer is always, "No!"
  5. Al Franken (as Stuart Smalley on SNL) was right. "I'm good enough. I'm smart enough. And doggone it, I deserve it."
As part of my 20-Month Plan I've created a list of goals that I'd like to reach by the time I turn 40. I bought myself a super cute, pink leather journal to pen my thoughts and progress. The purpose of Pink Journal -aside from the obvious cuteness - is for me to write down what I've done toward reaching at least one of those goals every single day. While I'd like to think that I am working toward my goals every single day, I haven't been very faithful in recording those actions daily.

Which reminds me, I've got some journaling to do.

Namaste,

Samara

1 comment:

MissMeliss said...

Okay first, just blogrolled you.
Second, OMG this post completely rocks. I'm just a couple months behind you on that road to 40, and thinking I need to follow your lead.

Thanks for posting this.

-- Melissa A. Bartell
(www.missmeliss.com)