Friday, August 29, 2008

Fabulous and Fifty


A funny thing happened when I turned 21 - many moons ago - I realized that the word "old" is quite a relative term. When I was 16 I thought my friends' siblings who were in their mid-20s were "old." Being in my 20s myself at that point, I realized that 25 wasn't so "old" after all.

After turning 25 I dreaded turning 30. The age at which I could no longer say that I was a twenty-something.

I hated turning 35 because I was officially ushered out of the "youth" bracket. You know how all marketing questionnaires seem to lump together people in the 18 - 34 age bracket, as if those at the top and bottom of that spectrum are, in fact, anything alike? Despite the fact that I felt it was absurd to lump those age ranges together, I still 'mourned' the fact that I was no longer a part of it.

But something funnier still happened on the other side of 35. I no longer looked at aging as something that should be dreaded or apologized for. The growing number of women in their 40s and beyond who were portrayed as strong, smart, and sexy certainly helped to boost this confidence. Women like Madonna and Angela Bassett - both of whom recently turned 50, as have Prince, Michael Jackson, and Kevin Bacon. Helen Mirren, Sally Field, and Diane Keaton remind us that evolution and growth and beauty don't stop after 60 either. These women continue to dominate their fields and rewrite the script for the women who will follow their path.

It is great to see more and more women healthy, happy, and more fabulous than ever as they mature, grow in confidence, and feel no need to apologize for who they are or what they've accomplished.

Viva la Fabulous and Fifty. Here's to 50 more.

No comments: