Thursday, May 29, 2008

Supporting the WBNA: Why It's About More Than Just Basketball

I'm a huge basketball fan and lately I've been feeling guilty about not showing the WNBA some love. What I feel most guilty about is never - NOT ONCE - going to see Cleveland's WNBA team, the Cleveland Rockers, when we still had it.

I was excited when Cleveland received one of the original eight franchises of the WNBA. I always intended to go to a game, but never quite made it.

It wasn't because of the distance. It was an easy 12.5 mile drive. I've driven the same distance and much farther, now that I've moved, to attend at least 3 - 5 Cleveland Cavaliers games each season for the past several years.

It wasn't the money. The exact price of the tickets escapes me, but I remember thinking that it wasn't much to see a professional sporting event.

So, why couldn't I support women who love the game even more than I do? I'm still trying to figure out the answer to that question. But, to make amends, I am trying to keep a close eye on the WNBA this season and I plan to purchase some WNBA gear. I'll also periodically feature an WNBA player on Mindful Banter.

I guess the reason it bothers me so much is because it is so important for women to support each other in their quest to achieve their dreams. Overall I like to think I am committed to doing that. However, I can now see the need to be more vigilant in my efforts to do so. After all, I am very appreciative of the women that have supported me on my journey to achieve my dreams.

Namaste,

Samara Leigh


2 comments:

Stephanie said...

Good for you! I used to get upset because my hometown team the Kings were way more popular than the WNBA team the Monarchs which actually won the Championship! But then again I never supported them either. :)

pjazzypar said...

I have always been a staunch supporter of the WNBA since its inception. I am happy that the season was extended and that they now play quarters instead of halves. It has grown by leaps and bounds. Soon every city with an NBA franchise will also host a WNBA team. I am a fan of the expansion team The Shocks being a native of Michigan.