Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Navigating the Autism Spectrum

Having a child of my own on the spectrum, I am fascinated by the Kirton Family of Utah. They have six children ranging in ages from 3 to 14. The children have various forms of autism. They are currently being studied to help researchers learn more about genes and autism.

The Kirton Family's website, Autism Bites, has some great t-shirts with clever sayings like:

AUTISTIC today, genius tomorrow.

I'm AUTISTIC and I think you're weird, too.

Plus they offer a unique look at their family and lots of support and resources. They were featured on ABC News. Watch the clip below:


A Remarkable Family with Six Children on the Austism Spectrum:


3 comments:

Tempest Knight said...

This is very interesting. I'll have to check this out.

Michelle O'Neil said...

I saw this. I was particularly interested in the fact that the mother had a nervous breakdown and had the kids taken from her only to be returned two weeks later. They didn't say if the mom has any help now. God knows she needs it with six affected children. Bless her heart.

Samara Leigh said...

I thought it was interesting that that shared this fact, as well. Having one autistic child can be quite challenging. I can't even imagine how great her challenge must be. I thought it was great that they recognized that she needed a break, but that they didn't keep the kids any longer than that.