Monday, November 12, 2007

The Writer's Strike Continues


Strikes. No-one likes them. Whether it is the local automotive plant, a major league sport, the sanitation department, or television and film writers, strikes are bad for employer, employees, and all of the faithful customers that will go without.


When a profession like pro athletes or television writers goes on strike they often find it more difficult to get the kind of sympathy that a blue collar worker would get. They are often perceived as whiners who should be glad that they have such "good jobs" in the first place. You'll usually get no contest from them about that. But, what is fair is fair. And while it may difficult to sympathize with someone who makes four to a gazillion times your salary, just remember that there are people who make half what you make, who just might feel the same way about you.


What this is really about is being treated fairly. With respect. Like you matter. Whether you are a sandwich artist, sanitation worker, auto worker, nurse, pro hockey player, or even a television writer you deserve to be treated with respect and compensated fairly.


After all, if one employer can get away with it, what makes you think that your employer won't try it next?


Namaste,


Samara Leigh

6 comments:

Appletini said...

Great point, Samara!

Michelle O'Neil said...

I say you are right. The people who are doing the creating deserve a bigger piece of the pie.

Also...it wouldn't hurt any of us to turn off the TV a little more often. Reruns will get us to do that!

ZenDenizen said...

They should have done this earlier to show us how vapid those reality shows can be.

Samara Leigh said...

I couldn't agree more, Michelle & Zen. This is coming at an opportune time for me. I've got a couple of unfinished novels that I need to be working on. :-)

Victoria said...

Hi Samara--
Sorry to leave an unrelated comment on your writer's strike post! but I was really inspired by the article you wrote for "Everything Girl," and I thought you might be interested in learning about the latest Dove initiative to raise girl's self-esteem everywhere. It would be great to have your genuine support for this positive, self-esteem message.

My name is Victoria, and we've been asked by Dove to help raise awareness for their self-esteem programs and to help find passionate and genuine real beauty advocates to be part of this online community of supporters.

If you’re interested, I would love to give you an ‘inside look’ at the Self Esteem Fund and Dove’s new initiative for girls, an online reality series designed to give teens a reality check on factors that can impact their self-esteem. Check it out at www.doverealitydiaries.com

To learn more about how to really get involved in supporting this message, as well as the Dove Self Esteem Fund, please be sure to visit www.rocketxl.com/dsef/assets.htm

Please let me know if you’re interested or would like to get involved in spreading this message. We would love to have your voice be included.

Thanks for your time, and keep writing!

All best,
Victoria@rocketxl.com

Moanna said...

I agree with you and hope the writers got what they deserved. I wish I had the courage to stop watching tv entirely but I don't. I grew up without one so know that it's possible but my heart ain't in it...

My first time here. You have an interesting blog. I'll explore more but will restrain myself and not comment after every posting!