Tuesday, September 4, 2007

What Have You Done So Far This Year?


When 12:01AM hit on SEPTEMBER 1st I was still in shock. Shocked that 8 months (that's 35 weeks or 243 days) had passed me by. Where, o where did the time go? This sent me scrambling to find my list of goals for 2007 and looking for a thousand excuses as to why I haven't achieved many of them.

Excuse #1: I cannot find my list. I keep a half a dozen notebooks for scribbling and keeping my thoughts. Who knows which one of them my goals are listed in. If I find the list, I will keep you posted. However, I do know this: I have yet to achieve several items on my list. This is the huge mistake we often make. We set our goals and tuck them away somewhere. Then we wonder why every year we've got the same goals but little to show for it. My goals should always be in front of me. After all, how else will I achieve them?


Excuse #2: Some of my goals have changed. For instance, my goals for my business are completely different now. So, my goals have changed. What has that got to do with the fact that they are still goals and I must work to achieve them?

Excuse #3: I keep forgetting to set my intention for each day. This is especially terrible because I am participating in a 100 Day Challenge. I know for a fact that setting my intention for the day works wonders, yet I keep falling back into my same habit of not doing it. "I forgot" is a miserable excuse. I have to make this a part of my daily routine until it becomes a habit.

Excuse #4: Our economy sucks and many of my small business clients have tightened their belt. While this is true, it still isn't an excuse. Entrepreneurship requires flexibility and changing to meet the needs of your market, or finding a different market when this is required.

Excuse #5: I was totally bummed out about "stuff" happening personally, and in our society. The best way to overcome this: "Don't just sit there. Change something!"

So with a mere 118 days left in the year I am:

  • Writing a list of goals to be accomplished by the end of the year.
  • Going to set my intention for each day.
  • Writing a to-do-list each day consisting of just five things that I will accomplish that day, in the order of importance.
  • Posting my list of goals and repeating them daily in the positive.
When I'm done I'll post my goals on this blog. You can check in on my progress in the coming weeks at 100 Days at a Time.

6 comments:

Born Diva said...

Wow.. well I better get on it. Couldn't find your list huh?? I don't even know if I wrote one. LOL..
Overall I am doing ok. I know what's on my list. I have gotten some done.. I think.. Be Right Back.. got go and check.

Bob said...

Howdy, Samara! I appreciate your entry in this month's "What I Learned From..." writing project!

Looks like you've at least got a plan - definitely a good start! :-D

Thanks for joining the fray!

Destined for Greatness said...

I hope you find your list so you can revisit some of the items that you wish to change. Case in point, I try to revisit my goals in July, that way I can cross of the ones that I have accomplished and modify the ones that are in the plan for that paricular phase in my life. It is also valuable to moniter growth. I know the next 118 days are going to be full of accomplishment for you. Good luck!!

porschetaylor said...

It does seem like the year has gone by at break neck speed. I do feel accomplished this year...I must say, there's still some unfinished biz tho. Thanks for the inspiration!

Lara Angelina said...

I have a similar picture posted on a blog entitled Surrounded by Assassins! I know exactly how you feel -- but you've got a plan and all you can do is try, knowing someone will always throw a wrench in your works!!
Good luck!! And remember -- if you've gotten up and gotten dressed, you've accomplished something!!

Kari Lee Townsend said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog;))