Thursday, September 6, 2007

Note to Serena: Stop Self-Destructing


I love Serena Willams. Really. In fact, if it wasn't for her recent self-destructive antics, she'd have been much higher on my Thursday Thirteen list. I was really happy when both she and Venus came on the scene in tennis years ago. I was even happier when they lost the beads and apparently went to charm school.

I also respect what Venus and Serena have been able to accomplish off the court. They seem to be very smart business women. Which is why Serena's recent comments - much more reminiscent of a Tyson-style boxer than a tennis player - took me by surprise. While Serena has never been known for giving credit to her opponents, making ridiculous excuses and being generally disrespectful of a fellow player and the game overall is completely inexcusable.

After her loss Serena bitched about having to be at the press release to avoid being fined by the league. (See story here). At the press conference she said:
"I just think she (Henin) made a lot of lucky shots and I made a lot of errors."
Ahem, excuse me Ms. Thang, were we watching the same match? The way I see it, losing in straight sets 7-6, 6-1 just constitutes a good ol' ass-whipping.

To be sure, it was her game to win or lose - despite the fact that Henin is seeded #1 in the world and an excellent player. However, she just didn't bring her A game. Not to that match, and not to this year's U.S. Open overall. She barely squeaked through most of her previous matches against players well below her level. Her play seemed lazy and disinterested. So, why is she suddenly pissed because it finally caught up to her?

I am still a Serena Williams tennis fan. However, I hope her PR team, Venus, Oracene, and Richard remind her how quickly an adored sports icon can become a hated has-been whose lucrative endorsements have all dried up.

3 comments:

Sara Hantz said...

Hey, Samara. I couldn't see a place to email you. I wanted to let you know you've won a prize at my launch party. If you pop over and send your address through the contacts link I'll pass it on to Lauren!
Sara

Samara Leigh said...

Yay me! I'm so excited. I've been a big fan of Lauren Baratz-Logsted since I read her book Vertigo a few months ago.

Definitely hop on over to Sara's blog and check out loads of guest appearances by some of your favorite writers.

http://sarahantz.com/blog/

~Virginia~ said...

I hate to admit this to someone who is obviously a fan of the sport, but I know nothing about tennis...other than the players names. The more famous ones, anyway. :)

Thanks for stopping by my blog! Hope you'll be back! And I can't take credit for all the wit...only 50% of it...the "bossy" sign is actually something I saw at a store once! :) But the "criticize" one is all me! :)