Thursday, June 7, 2007

The Cleveland Cavaliers are in the NBA Finals - Say What?


How excited am I? A life-long Cleveland Cavaliers fan that will witness my boys in their first-ever appearance in the NBA Finals. One of the things I love about the Cavs most - through good times and bad - is their demeanor. Never arrogant or thug-like. They don't employ bad-boy tactics. They have been accused of being soft in the past. However, now I think we've got a great balance and some fearless players who will never back down, like Anderson Varajao and Sasha Pavlovic.

LeBron James is a great asset to our team, but also to our region. He's earned the respect of basketball fans, and our region because at the age of 22, he handles himself better than a myriad of athletes and artists twice his age and with half his talent. We are impressed by what he has done on the court, but we are even more impressed by his leadership on the team and how he has given back to his community.

Though he has often been criticized for it, I love the fact that he is an unselfish player. As he grows as a player, he continues to learn to negotiate when it is best to take over the game, and when he should get his teammates involved. As the other members of the team continue to grow and step up, this will be even easier for him.

I vowed NEVER to call Daniel Gibson "Boobie" when they announced that was his nickname earlier in the year. However, after his second stunning playoff performance in Game 6 of the Eastern Conference Finals against Detroit, well let's just say that getting a "Shoot Boobie Shoot!" shirt is definitely on my list. :-)

Z has played better than he has in years, Eric Snow is an awesome defender, and Larry Hughes has show a lot of heart, playing despite injuries.

I know that we are in no way favored to win this thing, but nobody thought we'd be able to knock the Detroit Pistons off of their throne either. I believe we can win this. I know you'll think I'm insane, but I'm calling it the Cavs in 6. No matter what happens, we in the City of Cleveland and the surrounding regions are stoked and we are proud of our boys.

Go CAVS!!!!!

No comments: