Friday, May 11, 2007

Time for some tough love

I’ve always resisted the idea of scheduling creativity. Or, maybe it is just the idea of scheduling – period – that has made me so resistant. However, I want and NEED to get my novel finished. I originally wanted to finish it by June 30th and earlier in the year I was on track to accomplish that.

I hit a patch in the book where I really needed to make some major decisions about where I wanted the characters to go. The characters sort of “came to life” and my original plan for them didn’t seem to fit exactly anymore. Instead of soldiering through it, I sort of hit a brick wall and just started working on several other projects.

I want to finish my book and so now I am bringing out the big guns to finish it. I already started a writing group – FocusSpace (http://www.samaraleigh.com/writersgroup.htm ). Now I am going to lay down the law with some hard-core scheduling. Not for the group. For me.

I spent last night writing out the different creative projects that I am working on – my projects, not my clients’. I will set time tables for each today and create a schedule that I will begin following on Sunday.

If anyone is working on writing projects and could use some company, sign-up at the link above. The more the merrier.

3 comments:

Stacy said...

Hey, thanks for stopping by my blog.

I might be interested in your group. I haven't worked on my own novel in a long while.

appletini said...

Well, I am not truly a writer like you, but you gave me a great idea to study for my licensing exam.... I NEED to schedule time in, otherwise it never gets done :)

Samara Leigh said...

Stacy: We'd love to have you as part of the group. We get together online, share our goals for the week and for the session, then we break away to work on our individual projects.

At the end of the session, we connect again to share our progress. More often than not, we have achieved our goal for the session. It's incredibly productive and the cameraderie is great.

Appletini: You are so right. That which we don't schedule doesn't get done. At least, not the important stuff. You are also welcome to join us to do your studying during the Focus Sessions. While the group was created to help writers support one another, it really is more about women helping each other to be more productive and achieve their goals.