Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Things They Don't Ask on Compatability Tests

First of all, I have not taken a compatibility test of any kind. This a just a theory, so correct me if I am wrong. I am betting there are no questions about moving. Yes. Moving. Packing all of your belongings and shuffling them off to new places makes for interesting conversations. It is also the perfect place for the clashing of minds...

What should go and what should stay. Where should you move? When should you move? How should you move? When should you begin packing?

That last question was a sore spot in my move this past week. As a little background... my husband and I couldn't come from more different experiences when it coming to TIME.

My house: We were late for everything. My mother would be in the tub soaking at 10 minutes to time for her to be at work and her job was more than a 10 minute drive away. She was up washing and packing her clothes all night - the night she would leave for a trip. And me? I was the closest one to the bus stop in junior high, yet I missed the bus more than any other kid on the bus.

GQ's house: If they had to be at worship services at 7PM (a mere 10 minute drive away) his Dad would proclaim that they were late if they weren't in the car leaving by 6PM. His family was always early for everything.

Do you see where this is going?

First of all, I've never been quite as bad as my mother on this, but tardiness has been an issue for me in the past. That having been said, I've made a conscious effort to turn a new leaf this past year and have been doing quite swell in the on-time department, thank you very much.

However, I guess some habits just won't die. So we were moving this past weekend, and I was totally cool with that. However, I didn't begin packing in earnest until... okay I didn't start packing my stuff until Wednesday, truth be told. And I was quite annoyed that GQ packed up the kitchen and bathroom stuff. A girl has still gotta brush her teeth, right?

I now realize that I should have:

  1. Stopped working no later than Thursday, so we could pack up my office.
  2. Stopped trying to be Mahogany Martha Stewart and just bought fast food the last couple of days.
  3. Taken into account that moving requires actual sleep.
I'm betting that if moving related questions were on a compatibility test, GQ would have gone running for his life. Here are a couple of possibilities:

When should you begin packing?
  • When you first decide to move.
  • Two weeks before the actual move.
  • When the moving truck shows up in the yard.
Which of the following should you pack?
  • Clothing you haven't fit since the DeLorean was in style.
  • Emotional island purchases made after two or three drinks at the swim-up bar.
  • Items that can actually be worn and that don't scare small children.
The match sites can have those two for free. Any others you can think of? I'd love to hear your exciting moving adventures. No need to start with the line... "Hi, I'm XXX and I am a recovering procrastinator."

Peace be the journey,

Samara Leigh

2 comments:

Trin said...

What about "Which is the proper way to box and label your belongings?"
A. Like items in a box, seperated and wrapped with tissue and the box clearly labeled on two sides
B. Items from the same room in one box with the room's name on the outside of the box somewhere
C. Whatever is in your line of vision crammed tightly into a Hefty bag and tied at the top."

Samara Leigh said...

Trin,

That is absolutely hilarious. I love that one.