Thursday, May 10, 2007

Impact the lives of others

The world seems smaller than ever thanks to technology. Yet in many ways we seem more detached from one another. Families spend their time in separate rooms, each the master of his/her own remote control. We hear stories and even see graphics of the poor stranded on rooftops in a disastrous storm, or bodies lying beside a river like leaves fallen from a tree – yet many people are completely numb about it. They’ve seen and heard it all before. What can they do about it? I want to do my share as a citizen of the world to impact the lives of others for the better.

There was a TV show where the hero would help strangers and all he would ask in return is that they be willing to help him help someone else when the time came. (Let me know if you remember the name of the show.) I am grateful for help I’ve received from others and feel that it is my duty to do the same.

3 comments:

appletini said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog :)

I totally agree with your view of technology. It has opened the world to each other, but also closed it (emotionally) at the same time.

I try to positively impact the lives of others, in any way I can, especially children.

John Elder Robison said...

I understand that you're an owner of an Aspergian kid like me. And he won't look you in the eye.

He probably never will, unless he learns the benefit to him in doing so. The fact that YOU want him to do it probably won't matter, if he's like me. The realization that other kids will like him better - if he believes it - may.

Since my book is named for it, there are a few passages about myself and that particular trick. I'll be interested to hear what you and he make of the story.

And there's a story about your home town, too, when I flew my brother out there for a KISS concert at Richfield Colesium.

Samara Leigh said...

Hey John,

I will definitely let you know how it works out - using your tips on eye contact. The old Richfield Coliseum. Wow. That brings back memories. I can't wait to hear the story.