Friday, April 13, 2007

Banishing Procrastination


This year I was determined to commit to my writing and not let anything sidetrack me. I started off strong, please believe me. I was typing my little fingers down to a nub, then I hit a wall. Fell off the wagon. Whatever. I didn't abandon writing altogether, but I started working several other projects and kind of left the book alone. It's bad when you've been away from your own novel so long, you feel like you'll need to re-read a few chapters just to get acquainted. Okay, maybe it's not that bad, but I did forget the names of a couple of side characters. Bad, bad writer.

I think it started when I got into a rough spot in the book and then I just sort of started working on other things, being too lazy to work out the dilemma. I've done that before, but usually within a week I was back at it. It has now been about six weeks since I've written a single new word. That's why it was time to take action...

I've been writing other articles, editorials and reviews, business articles, etc. so don't think I've been twiddling my thumbs. However, I really want to get the book finished. I send up a smoke signal in the Chick Lit Writer's Group on Yahoo! and got some really great responses. Hopefully the women writers group - name still to be determined - will be up and running next week.

If you're interested in joining the group, visit www.SamaraLeigh.com to register for the group.

Happy Friday!

Samara

No comments: