Thursday, October 26, 2006

Madonna: "Damn Near Fifty"

During a weekend of vegging out on chick flicks and music videos between walks in the park, my husband and I "dissented" on the age of Madonna. I said something about the fact that she still looked great and he reminded me that she was "damn near fifty." For some reason, I found this completely unacceptable. I'd been a fan since Holiday. And while I couldn't remember my age at the time, I didn't think she was that much older than me. I guessed that she was 42 to 45. For some reason that sounded much better and was more comforting.

Of course, I love my husband to death, but I couldn't take his word for it. I googled Madge and learned that she was....48! Or, "damn near fifty." Still small, well-defined and with the courage to prance around in a 1980's leotard that had a lot less lycra than she had ass. At "damn near fifty?"

Honestly, if it hadn't been for this discovery and the realization that Janet Jackson is forty - and both looking extremely cut and in great health - I'd probably have spent the entire weekend on the couch (well, I'd probably have gone from the couch to the love seat a few times).

Though I have no dillusions of looking like either of these women, it did remind me that I can do a lot more than I have been to get in shape and be healthy. It also reminded me of the goals that I have for myself as a person, a writer and an entrepreneur. There is an awful lot that I'd like to do before I am forty and definitely before I turn - "damn near fifty." This small ephiphany reminded me of the need to bring my goals back in focus and get to work on them.

And they say music videos aren't educational!

Samara Leigh

No comments: