Monday, January 22, 2007

You're Only As Good As Your Socks

For all of you who thought otherwise, I wanted to be sure to bring you up to speed. I heard this from someone the other day and I thought I'd share. His theory is no matter how great you sound or look, if you take off your shoes and you've got holes in your socks, it will blow all previous conceptions of how great you are.

I found this weird, bordering on insane. However, on thinking about it a bit more, I could sort of see his point. It's like I tell my teenage son about saggy pants and the fricking white t-shirt that makes you look just like 10,000 other mindless drones: People judge you by your appearance. It may not be a good barometer, it may not be fair, but that is just the way it is.

Now some battles are worth fighting. The right to wear one's hair naturally, instead of chemically-altered at their place of work and models and actresses refusal to look like undernourished twigs or heroine addicts in order to get work, for instance.

However, insisting on wearing interminably bad fashion that does absolutely nothing for your body type just because "everyone else is doing it" just doesn't fly.

And, I guess neither do holey socks.

Samara Leigh

No comments: