Friday, December 1, 2006

NaNoWriMo is Over and Done

National Novel Writing Month is officially over. I fell well short of my goal of 50,000 words, but did manage to get to 17,084. I am kicking myself in the ass over and over because by week two of this thing, I'd pretty much gotten into my head that there was just NO WAY I could do this. I had too many things going on. Too many obligations. Too many things taxing my time already. What type of drug made me want to do this, anyway? So, I practically gave up before I even got started.

Then as the month went on I began to pare down all those obligations and realized that it was about time I started making a few to myself - like spending time on my writing. The point of this entire endeavor. By the time I got back into the race it was too late for the big finish. But, it taught me some very important things. For one, I can get an awful lot of writing done when I am fired up about what I am writing about.

Secondly, I need to concentrate more of my work on projects that I am passionate about. I know it sounds that same, but it totally isn't.

Lastly, I need to stop being so damn anal and re-frickin-lax. I am often accused of "overthinking" things. I've discovered that it's even worse than my friends and family have let on. I've got overthinking things down to a science - except of course on the few occasions when I should have employed this tool to keep me out of trouble. Gotta work on that.

Morale of the story: I've fallen in love with writing again. Now you won't be able to keep me offa here.

Peace out,

Samara Leigh

No comments: